Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Club tourney full report

Feeling slightly dehydrated and shaky I was ready to go. Having one spot and not the fastest boat in the club I figured I was in trouble. But like KVD says no sense in worrying about the things you cannot control. My Rock star guest in the boat today was Tim Allen. Tim is a good backseater and provides a decent amount of comedy for the day. As we left I had several other boats in front of me but all of them blew past it. As we set down I knew we had it all to ourselves. Tim actually started the day with a fish caught on a ring fry in some current. A decent 2lber and then he caught another one a little smaller. As I pulled into the bay all of the beds were looking empty. Until I got to one near a tree branch. As we got close the first time we were to close to her and she spooked off. I gave her some time to relock on her bed. As we came back through she was on her bed and wouldn’t take anything I threw at her. After several minutes of working her she eventually peeled off her bed and headed for the depths. Knowing exactly where she was now we let her rest from some time. As we came back in on the approach I finally broke down and decided to throw the magic senko at her. Staying a good 30 yards off of her I made a cast past where I knew she was and pulled it into her bedroom. As the coils of my line on the top of the water straightened out I knew this meant good things. I reared back and gave her the steal. After getting her in the net I was quite relieved. Going down the bank a little while more and I casted to what looked like a fishy spot. Only this time I was hanging over a dock. There again my line was running and as I reeled down my rod loaded up. It wasn’t until I gave Tim the rod kept my toes in the boat and leaned out on my belly did the fish finally make it into the net. At this point I know I am on pace but I am out of spawners in this bay. We revisited the bay many times through the day and there was only one other 3lb smallie that was in there and she would have no part of me. At about 11 o’clock Tim opened up the live well and said bad things. We had fish on their side. What I didn’t know is that my livewell had stopped working. My livewell never regained and I eventually would kill those two big smallies. I managed two other measuring largemouth and was actually disappointed I couldn’t scratch a limit, until I came into the docks and realized it was a pretty tough day for most of the guys. Well as it would go down my busted livewell would cost me the win. After the dead fish penalties I was in a tie for first and since the first tie breaker is most fish the win went to Todd. Congrats to him as he figured out something with the smallies as well. Overall there is a few things I could have done better but am pretty pleased with my first tourney in Beyonce the boat.


Special thanks to Mike M. For snapping a photo of the two dead beauties.

1 comment:

  1. IKE

    A Derby is on for this year:
    http://bpmbassderby.blogspot.com/

    Starts May 29th, Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete