Monday, October 18, 2010

Waconia Prefish

Last tourney of the year and I wanted to do well as always but I needed to find some good fish to do it especially since it has taken as much as 20+lbs to win on fall tourney on Waconia. Typically there is usually a good shallow bite this time of year. Although I understand why the fish move shallow in southern impoundments I am not quite sure why it happens up north but I think it is for a few reasons – of which I won’t expound upon now.
So as I headed out for my pre-fishing endeavor I was going to look for shallow fish and for some good green weeds in 7-12 feet of water. I started shallow and found some fish in the shallow reeds almost immediately on the edge with a dt-6 and then on the best looking spot I flipped a jig into the reeds and it never hit the bottom and lifted a 3lb fish to the surface and on the next flip I hooked a 3lber and he wouldn’t let go so he made it into the Champ that made for about 6 bites in 200 yards. So I knew I was going to fish those reeds so I just left to go check docks.
I made it to the second dock and got bit and went to the second dock and got bit on that one too – I didn’t set the hook on either and just moved on. I tried for the next three hours to fish the deep stuff and never had a sniff. I could find lots of beautiful milfoil stuff that excites a guy but nothing not even a sunfish nibble. After that I drove around and looked at some stuff that I thought might play on tournament day and then I put the boat on the trailer.
Prefish Recap: I felt kind of weird only fishing for 5 hours but I didn’t want to burn any fish but I felt good about it what I found so why beat them up anymore than I needed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment